Nov 8, 2021 Weekly Bulletin
Posted: | Updated:
Nov 11 No School – Veteran’s Day
Nov 16 – 24 Conferences for all Students
Nov 16 Picture Day Retakes
As part of the BLM Year of Purpose, we recognize the Trans Affirming principle of
Trans Affirming during the month of November.
We are working hard in our school to create a climate where everyone feels that they belong. In our classrooms, teachers regularly talk to students about how to support and celebrate the differences in our school. School is also a place where we strive to respect one another and learn to work together regardless of our differences. Learning about gender diversity is part of this work. At our school and throughout the district we have students as young as kindergarten who identify as transgender, or as gender fluid. Transgender is when a person may be born one gender, but identifies as another gender. Gender fluid is when a person does not identify as having a fixed gender, they may feel like they are both male and female, or neither. This can sometimes feel confusing to others and may raise questions. The definitions below are what will guide our work this month.
Trans Affirming: The commitment to continue to make space for our trans siblings by encouraging leadership and recognizing transantagonistic violence, while doing the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk.
Kid Friendly Definition: Everybody has the right to choose their own gender by listening to their own heart and mind. Everyone gets to choose if they are a girl or a boy or both or neither or something else, and no one else gets to choose for them.
- Global Reading Challenge – 4th and 5th Grade Classes learned about Seattle Public Library’s Global Reading Challenge in the library last week. Information and Permission Slips went home to families with links to more information about what the GRC entails. Students should bring completed permission slips to Dr. V in the library or to their classroom teachers. Permission slips can be found at: GRC Permission Slip The GRC books are catalogued and ready to be checked out of the library starting this week. There is a PowerPoint Presentation that lists the books with further resources at: Global Reading Challenge 21-22
Sign up/Permission Slips for GRC by November 19th
Start checking out/reading GRC books (November 8th)
Start meeting with 4th and 5th grade cohorts to discuss books (November 29th-December 3rd )
Form GRC Teams (January after Winter Break)
Start meeting/practicing in GRC Teams weekly
GRC Trivia Challenge (TBD Late January/Early February)
Our first GRC meetings will not occur until the week before Thanksgiving Break so there is plenty of time to sign up. If families have questions, they can email Dr. V at: email@example.com
- Meet this week’s featured Hall of Fame Team Camp After School Program enrichment vendor, Amanda of Art with Heart!
Registration for Session 2 (November 1st-December 17th) is now closed.
Please stay tuned for information on Session 3 (January 3rd-February 18th) registration!
To learn more about Hall of Fame Team Camp, check out our website: Hall of Fame Team Camp at Hazel Wolf K-8
Amanda is a single mom of three, from Vancouver BC. She is a piano and art teacher and has been connecting with kids of all ages through music and art for 20 years. After her divorce, she discovered her passion for using art to communicate and teach her own kids about emotional health to help them through a strained time in their lives and is now sharing the art with families all over the world through social media (@mymommytheartist on Instagram) and her virtual art classes. When she is not drawing, teaching, and mentoring families, she can be found seeking out the next delicious thing to eat, hiking, reading, or having a dance party with her kids in their kitchen!
- Vaccines for 5-11 year-olds Coming Soon – Here’s the list of regional clinics any student can visit for a vaccination: https://www.seattleschools.org/news/flu-vaccine-clinic/?fbclid=IwAR3HCWnUO31xPDx_Kfm26bdmTdkuGUgnnyw2ZhbJVqxvol4d4ZwyVVfy4io
Olympic Hills Elementary 13018 20th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98125
1st dose: Saturday, November 13, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.; 2nd dose: December 4, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Medical provider: Seattle Visiting Nurses Association. Registration and consent shared soon.
Eckstein Middle School 3003 NE 75th St. Seattle, WA 98115
1st dose: Saturday, November 20, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.; 2nd dose: December 11, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Medical provider: Seattle Visiting Nurses Association. Registration and consent shared soon.
- Thanks a Pie Full – This Thanksgiving we are planning to send all our staff home with a pie! Please click here to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4ea8a72ba4f58-thanks and help make this happen for all our great staff. More details on the Sign Up.
- Veterans Day – Veterans Day is November 11th, and we want to put together a short presentation to honor some of the veterans in our community. We’d like brief video recorded statements from as many veterans as we can get.
If you, someone in your family, or someone close to your family has served in the military, and would be willing to take part in the project, please email Joe Fogarty at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, November 8th at 6pm.
- Last Call for Spirit Gear — Flash sale ends on November 7th so get your hoodie and beanie orders in today. https://hazelwolfk8.org/spirit-gear/
- Hazel Wolf Annual Read-A-Thon — It’s almost that time of year! The Read-a-thon starts on November 15th and ends on the 27th. Next week, Dr. V will kickoff the event. Raffle prizes will be available for individual participation and include free hot chocolates from KJ’s coffee. Class participation prizes will be supplied by Zylbersteins. More information to come out this week or visit the site for details. https://hazelwolfk8.org/read-a-thon/
- Red Robin Fundraiser — Have a milkshake and make some money for school. Save the date for the Red Robin fundraiser — November 16th from 4-8:00 pm. More info to come.
- Conferences – Student conferences will be offered from Nov 16 – 24 for K-5, and Nov 18 – 24 for MS. Next week we will be scheduling our ELL families first, and then by teacher (Pack Teacher for MS), we will send you a link so you can sign up. Note that NO conferences will be held after the Thanksgiving Break.
- Picture Retake Day (Nov 16) – Families can order photos with check or cash (our photographers are unable to provide change) by returning the order form to the photographer on picture day. After picture day, all orders will need to be placed online.
Please note that a separate order is required for each student in the household. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Thank you!
- Calling All Black Boys in 3rd – 5th Grade – In response to many requests from the African American community, the SPS office of African American Male Achievement (AAMA) is excited to offer this valuable opportunity to serve our African American boys in 3rd – 5th grade across the district in partnership with Rising Son.
Rising Son Extended (RSE) is a one day-a-week affinity group that will focus on the cultural, historical, social, and emotional needs of young Black boys as it relates to their identity. RSE will engage, empower, and encourage these young Kings by creating opportunities within brotherhood-centered cohorts to make conscious, positive identity choices, thus supporting the elevation of their voices in advocacy for their educational justice. Kings will learn how to manage their emotions, channel personal will, develop a positive sense of purpose in their roles in family and community, and develop important networks both in school and out of school to ensure academic achievement and develop life-long leadership skills. RSE will operate in three different cohorts, a Monday group (RSE1), a Tuesday group (RSE2) and a Wednesday group (RSE3).
Start: The week of November 29, 2021
Ends: The week of June 20, 2022
RSE1- Mondays – 4pm-4:45pm
RSE2- Tuesdays – 4pm-4:45pm
RSE3- Wednesdays – 3pm-3:45pm
Registration link for 3rd – 5th Grade RSE: https://forms.office.com/r/tWdjmAMR1j
- Alternate Food Drive – This year the school is having a $25 gift card drive from November 1st to December 8th. The office is collecting $25 grocery gift cards (QFC, Fred Meyer & Safeway) that they will distribute to families. This will allow families to purchase what they culturally eat and buy fresh produce. We are trying to be thoughtful of staff exposure and bandwidth so the school staff will be collecting the $25 gift cards instead for the Winter Food Drive. You can also donate to the COVID fund online. This money will be used to purchase gift cards. The cards will be handed out before Winter Break. Thank you!
- Middle School Sports – Winter Season – Starts December 2nd. Middle School Winter Sports (Boys & Girls Basketball)
If your student is planning to participate in Basketball, please complete all applicable forms listed below.
*** If your student participated in a Fall Sport then all they need to fill out is the Basketball participation form
MS Athletic Registration form https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Student-Athletic-Registration-Packet-ADA.pdf
Basketball Participation Form – https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Safety-Guidelines-Form-Basketball.pdf
MS Physical Participation Form https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Student-Physical-Participation-Exam-History-ADA.pdf
Athletic Participation COVID Waiver form https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Activity-Participation-COVID-Waiver-ADA.pdf
Athletic COVID Screening form https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Screening-COVID-Form-ADA.pdf
Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness form https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/ConcussionSCA-Awareness-Form_ADA.pdf
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Information Sheet https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/SCA-Information-Form.pdf
Student Insurance/Enrollment Online (if applicable) http://www.myers-stevens.com/enrollment-pageMiddle School and K-8 Athletic Handbook https://www.seattleschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Middle-School-K-8-Handbook-ADA.pdf
Boys Basketball Link https://schoolpay.com/pay/for/2021-22-Boys-Basketball-15/SQ6HeB
Girls Basketball Link https://schoolpay.com/pay/for/2021–22-Girls-Basketball-15/Sdo6C2o
- Coat Drive — Each year, we host a coat drive to make sure all Hazel Wolf students have a new winter coat. To sponsor a student(s), please make a donation to the Hazel Wolf COVID fund, which will be used to fund coat requests: https://hazelwolfk8.ejoinme.org/covid19fund. When making your donation, consider that the average coat is $50. You can donate to the coat drive between October 15th and December 15th.
Any funds remaining after meeting all coat requests will be used for Family Support programs. Thank you to our generous Hazel Wolf community for your ongoing support, particularly in light of changes necessitated by COVID limitations.
Hazel Wolf families that want to sign up to receive a coat, can fill out this form (Updated Link): https://forms.gle/s2JLh2VP8tY1u2MU8