Feb 4, 2024
- 2/7 School Tour for Prospective Families (5:30pm)
- 2/8 Hazel Wolf Multilingual Enrollment Night (5:30pm)
- 2/9 Middle School Winter Wonderland (6:00-8:00pm)
- 2/15 PTSA General Session Meeting (6:30pm)
- 2/19-2/23 No school (Mid-winter Break)
All School Announcements
Message from Dr. Breuder:
Remembering and honoring Ms. Mah: The Hazel Wolf community has shown such compassion and love in this sad time. On Friday, teachers and staff shared the news about Ms. Mah’s passing with students. We were scheduled to have a Buddy Day on Friday morning, but we canceled that session so staff could share the sad news with students. There were many emotions across our community, as one can imagine. We had additional counselors and supports onsite for students (and staff) to talk with someone. There were spaces for students to go if they were feeling sad, or if they needed a break. There were people onsite to help support our teachers who needed to step out of their classrooms at any time. It was a day filled with a range of emotions. Many of our teachers conducted community circles, while others found different ways for processing and just feeling the emotions that were being felt. We all process grief in different ways, but we saw (and felt) an outpouring of support for one another and for our community.
We will have additional counselors and support onsite at Hazel Wolf on Monday, as well. SPS has helped provide supports from Central Office and our surrounding schools.
We have received so many kind messages from families about Ms. Mah, which included questions about how to send condolences to her family. Let us get back to you on this, as we are respecting the family’s privacy at this time. If you want to send a card to school, we will put cards together to give to the family.
I have also received questions about Ms. Mah’s classes. Please know the Hazel Wolf administration and staff are doing everything we can so classes move forward. Students will continue forward with their math classes and with the math curriculum. We will keep you updated as we solidify plans, but please know that we are on it, as making sure our students continue with core content is of the utmost priority.
Thank you for your care and your support for our students, our staff, and our community.
Black Lives Matter at Schools week: This next week (February 5-9) is recognized as Black Lives Matter at School (BLMAS) Week of Action.
“This week is recognized as an opportunity for our students and community to continue to learn in alignment with the guiding principles of the BLMAS movement, and to act in ways that disrupt and transform the harmful legacies of racism and anti-Blackness in our schools. Seattle Public Schools affirms the rights of all Black students, staff, families, and community partners to experience safety, joy, and a sense of belonging in our schools and beyond.”(Dr. Keisha Scarlett, former SPS Assistant Superintendent of Academics, current Superintendent St. Louis Public Schools)
Our staff is committed to ongoing work around racial equity at Hazel Wolf, and we continue to intentionally plan for discussions and activities that support the racial identity development of our students….and ourselves. Teachers will be communicating with families about discussions and activities, so you can follow up at home with your child.
Multilingual Enrollment Night is Thursday, February 8th from 5:30-7:30 in the Hazel Wolf Library. Multilingual families enrolling new students can come to get computer access, help from interpreters, and help completing forms.
More information, including translated informational videos and contact numbers for bilingual enrollment specialists can be found at Seattle Public Schools district website:
Winter Wonderland!All middle school students are invited to the Winter Wonderland on Friday, February 9th, from 6:00-8:00pm. This ASB-sponsored event will take place in the Hazel Wolf cafeteria. Tickets will go on sale Tuesday, February 6th at school and online, $3 presale and $5 at the door.
PTSA Announcements and Events
- PTSA General Session: Join your fellow members of the Hazel Wolf Community on February 15 from 6:30 to 8pm in the Cafetorium to learn about upcoming PTSA events – including the Spring Fling! The meeting is also an opportunity to get your questions answered by Principal Breuder and the Administration team (questions will need to be submitted in advance of the meeting).
Please submit questions here by February 7 using the google form: bit.ly/3u98bSJ
- Spring Fling! Tickets are now on sale for Hazel Wolf K-8 PTSA’s first in-person fundraiser in FIVE YEARS!! Mingle with friends and meet new families during an evening of dinner, drinks, live music and dancing. Plus, enjoy a little friendly competition as our PTSA puts the FUN in fundraising with a Dessert Dash and Raise the Paddle! All money raised will help support programs that benefit our school community (staff grants, tutoring, field trips & more)! Get tickets & further info at hazelwolfk8.org/springfling/
Event Details: Saturday, March 2, 2024, | 6-9pm | Lake Forest Park Civic Club | 21+
- School Tours are happening now: Open Enrollment is about to begin and It’s time to introduce Hazel Wolf to prospective families! We need volunteers to help on our last tour date: February 7th at 5:30pm. Volunteers will be stationed throughout the building to help direct families, answer questions, and share your Hazel Wolf experiences. Contact Kim Steffensmeier with questions (email@example.com)
- Lunch volunteers: Thank you to all the parents who are helping serve lunches! You can continue to sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0E49ACAA22AAFF2-47072318-lunch