Jan 21, 2024 Weekly Bulletin
- 1/23 Class Picture Day
- 1/23 School Tour for Prospective Families (5:30pm)
- 1/27 SPS Admissions Fair (10:00am-2:00pm) at John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence
- 1/27 Harlem Globetrotters at Climate Pledge Arena (2:00pm)
- 2/1 School Tour for Prospective Families (9:15am)
- 2/7 School Tour for Prospective Families (5:30pm)
- 2/8 Hazel Wolf Multilingual Enrollment Night (5:30pm)
- 2/15 PTSA General Session Meeting (6:30pm)
All School Announcements
Message from Dr. Breuder:
Thank you for all your patience and flexibility with the student devices this last week! While SPS did not end up having any snow days (many districts around us did close schools), we wanted to be cautious and send home devices, “just in case.” As it is still January, we do not know what the weather will hold for us in the coming winter weeks, so in the event of inclement weather, we will continue to communicate with families about possible shifts in school plans.
Budget: One of the topics that is always on my mind at this time of year is the budget for next year. (This is the brain cycle of an administrator!) There are many things that are impacted by budget (staffing, class configurations, programs offered, electives and courses offered, etc.). Our budget is determined by the enrollment at our school. We will receive budget and staffing allocations from SPS at the end of February. Once that happens, we will look at if/how we need to make any changes for next year. I have been in all different situations, from not needing to make any changes, to needing to make multiple changes. As you know, SPS is in a budget deficit, so we will see what our allocations look like in February. Hazel Wolf enrollment is high (full), so we are optimistic in these allocations. Stay tuned for more info!
Clue: I hope you were able to see the middle school performance of Clue this weekend! What a fantastic show! Thank you to Ms. Allenton, Ms. Powers, and all the students involved!
Class Picture Day: Yuen Lui Studio will photograph class group pictures at Hazel Wolf K-8 on Tuesday, January 23. There is no need to order! As a part of our yearbook services, every student will receive one 8×10 of their class group print at no charge. A link to order additional prints will be shared at a later date.
The time for new students to register to attend Hazel Wolf for the 2024-2025 school year is coming up soon! The window to submit a choice application for an Option School is February 1 through February 29. We want to reach out and give a special welcome to families who may be new to the country and who speak languages other than English. We need YOUR help. Do you have relatives, neighbors, or friends that speak a language other than English who are interested in enrolling at Hazel Wolf? If you do, contact Rachel Projansky at email@example.com with any information you have and the Multilingual Enrollment Team will reach out to you soon.
Multilingual Enrollment Night is Thursday, February 8th from 5:30-7:30 in the Hazel Wolf Library. Multilingual families enrolling new students can come to get computer access, help from interpreters, and help completing forms.
More information, including translated informational videos and contact numbers for bilingual enrollment specialists can be found at Seattle Public Schools district website:
Volunteer Orientations: Please remember that all volunteers need to go through the entire volunteer clearance process before volunteering at Hazel Wolf. There are still several Volunteer Orientations throughout the school year that parents and caregivers can attend if they want to volunteer at school. The complete list of orientation sessions for the rest of the year is as follows:
- 1/22 @ 9:30am
- 2/6 @ 5:00pm
- 3/5 @ 5:00pm
- 3/18 @ 9:30am
- 4/2 @ 5:00pm
- 4/22 @ 9:30am
- 5/14 @ 5:00pm
- 6/3 @ 5:00pm
School Tours: We have scheduled three tours for prospective families to learn more about Hazel Wolf K-8. We are looking for volunteers to help – see the Volunteer Opportunities section!
- Tuesday, January 23rd, at 5:30pm
- Thursday, February 1st, at 9:15am
- Wednesday, February 7th, at 5:30pm
Eighth grade families should have received an email with a detailed list of upcoming tours from Ms. Bisagna. High schoolers representing different schools will be coming to eighth grade Packs to answer questions about their schools over the next few weeks. A complete list of school tours and Open House events is also on the SPS website here: https://www.seattleschools.org/news/new-student-enrollment/
PTSA Announcements and Events
- PTSA General Session: Join other members of the Hazel Wolf Community on February 15, 2024, from 6:30 to 8pm in the Cafetorium to learn about PTSA upcoming events – including the Spring Fling! Principal Breuder and other members of the Administration will be at the meeting and will be answering questions from the community (there will be an opportunity to submit questions in advance of the meeting – more details coming soon). We hope to see you there!
- Save the Date for our Spring Night Out: March 2nd, 2024! The PTSA is excited to announce our in-person spring party to celebrate you, the caregivers! Join us for drinks, food, dancing, a dessert dash, and more! All proceeds raised will go to the school. Help raise money and have fun, it’s a win-win. Book your sitter and save the date – March 2, 2024. More details to follow!
We need volunteers to make this fabulous event come to life. Are you a restaurant owner and/or catering company? We would love to hear from you as more planning for this event gets underway. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to help out and join our fun team!
- Come see the Harlem Globetrotters! Join your classmates & friends on January 27th at 2pm to watch Harlem Globetrotters at Climate Pledge Arena. We have 200 tickets reserved in section 204 at a discounted rate ($39.25 plus fees and tax).
Here is the link to purchase tickets:https://am.ticketmaster.com/nhlseattle/quickbuy?id=MzUx
- Summer camp registration happens early in Seattle, so the PTSA put together this online spreadsheet that you can use to explore the various day camp options in the area. We are not endorsing these camps – it is just meant to provide information. Another resource for finding break and summer camps is at https://onestopcamp.com/ . If you have questions about the list, or suggestions for improvements, we would love to hear from you at email@example.com
- School Tours are happening now: Open Enrollment is about to begin and It’s time to introduce Hazel Wolf to prospective families! We need volunteers to help on three tour dates: January 23, February 1, and February 7. Volunteers will be stationed throughout the building to help direct families, answer questions, and share your Hazel Wolf experiences. Contact Kim Steffensmeier with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Volunteer Opportunities: To learn more about our PTSA board positions and non-board positions (i.e., program lead positions), please visit our volunteer page: https://hazelwolfk8.org/volunteer/
- Lunch volunteers: Thank you to all the parents who are helping serve lunches! You can continue to sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0E49ACAA22AAFF2-47072318-lunch