Jan 28, 2024 Weekly Bulletin
- 2/1 School Tour for Prospective Families (9:15am)
- 2/7 School Tour for Prospective Families (5:30pm)
- 2/8 Hazel Wolf Multilingual Enrollment Night (5:30pm)
- 2/15 PTSA General Session Meeting (6:30pm)
All School Announcements
Message from Dr. Breuder:
In reflection on this past week, I have been thinking about how we are preparing our students for their next educational pathway, and how we are looking at educating the whole child. How are students leaving Hazel Wolf as citizens of our community and our world? The events of these past few weeks have left me thinking about how our students are learning about intent vs impact. As an administrator, I talk with many students about behavioral decisions that have caused conflict and harm. Many of my conversations with students include, “ But I didn’t mean it.” While that might be true, those actions could have harmed someone else, despite a different intent. It’s so important for our students to know that every action has a consequence, regardless of that consequence being negative of positive. If my actions harm someone else, my intent does not change the harm that I caused. Understanding the importance of intent vs impact is critical for our students to learn about empathy, compassion, and kindness. While my actions might not have intended to hurt someone, the impact of my actions could be entirely different, and possibly harmful. I believe elementary and middle school are important spaces for learning and reflecting. Seeing and understanding different perspectives is critical for being able to understand how my actions have impacted someone else.
Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to educate and support our students at Hazel Wolf.
The time for new students to register to attend Hazel Wolf for the 2024-2025 school year is coming up soon! The window to submit a choice application for an Option School is February 1 through February 29. We want to reach out and give a special welcome to families who may be new to the country and who speak languages other than English. We need YOUR help. Do you have relatives, neighbors, or friends that speak a language other than English who are interested in enrolling at Hazel Wolf? If you do, contact Rachel Projansky at email@example.com with any information you have and the Multilingual Enrollment Team will reach out to you soon.
Multilingual Enrollment Night is Thursday, February 8th from 5:30-7:30 in the Hazel Wolf Library. Multilingual families enrolling new students can come to get computer access, help from interpreters, and help completing forms.
More information, including translated informational videos and contact numbers for bilingual enrollment specialists can be found at Seattle Public Schools district website:
Introduce a Girl to Food Science: The Women in Chemical Engineering at the University of Washington.are inviting Hazel Wolf K-8 to participate in their 8th annual Introduce a Girl event.
- Introduce a Girl is an annual STEM outreach event geared towards youth ages 6-15. Students have the opportunity to explore science and technology through a variety of interactive demonstrations and hands-on activities. This event is free for all participants and is a great way to get youth excited about STEM! The event is happening Saturday February 10 from 12-3pm in the University of Washington HUB Lyceum.
Please use our website (linked here) to reserve your tickets. A parent/guardian will need to register all students participating in the event. Please send any questions about the event to Stella Anastasakis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Wonderland!All middle school students are invited to the Winter Wonderland on Friday, February 9th, from 6:00-8:00pm. This ASB-sponsored event will take place in the Hazel Wolf cafeteria. Tickets will go on sale Tuesday, February 6th at school and online, $3 presale and $5 at the door.
- The Center School will be hosting an Open House for prospective students and families on Thursday, February 15, 2024, from 5:30 – 7:30 pm (flyer and parking pass attached).
Interested students and parents should RSVP using the QR code on the flyer or the link here: https://forms.office.com/r/AzHG5qUrp5
For more information about The Center School, we invite you to take a virtual school tour linked here: https://vimeo.com/703976333/ad1b681004
PTSA Announcements and Events
- PTSA General Session: Join other members of the Hazel Wolf Community on February 15, 2024, from 6:30 to 8pm in the Cafetorium to learn about PTSA upcoming events – including the Spring Fling! Principal Breuder and other members of the Administration will be at the meeting and will be answering questions from the community (there will be an opportunity to submit questions in advance of the meeting – more details coming soon). We hope to see you there!
- Volunteers are needed to help us get ready for the Spring Fling! Do you like to craft and want to help with decor? Love music and building playlists – help us create a dance mix. There are lots of fun ways to help, just email email@example.com to learn more. Any and all amounts of time are appreciated.
Are you a restaurant owner and/or catering company? We would love to hear from you as more planning for this event gets underway. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to help out and join our fun team!
- School Tours are happening now: Open Enrollment is about to begin and It’s time to introduce Hazel Wolf to prospective families! We need volunteers to help on two tour dates: February 1, and February 7. Volunteers will be stationed throughout the building to help direct families, answer questions, and share your Hazel Wolf experiences. Contact Kim Steffensmeier with questions (email@example.com)
- Lunch volunteers: Thank you to all the parents who are helping serve lunches! You can continue to sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0E49ACAA22AAFF2-47072318-lunch