Nov 5, 2023 Weekly Bulletin
Hazel Wolf K-8 Principal’s Weekly Bulletin
November 5, 2023
- Monday, November 6th: Blue envelope campaign starts
- Tuesday, November 7th: Costume Making Party for Jungle Book cast/crew/families, 3:30-5:00pm
- Friday, November 10th: Veterans Day Observed (no school)
- Wednesday, November 15th: Picture Retake Day and 6th Graders will take their pictures.
- Monday November 20th-Wednesday November 22nd: Parent Teacher Conferences (no school)
- Thursday November 23rd through Friday November 24th: Thanksgiving Holiday (no school)
- Wednesday, November 29th: MOD Pizza Dine-Out Fundraiser
- Sunday, December 3rd: Barnes and Noble Fundraiser – Show Choir sings at 3:30 and 4:30
- Thursday, December 7th: Jungle Book performance, 5:30pm
- Friday, December 8th: Jungle Book performance, 5:30pm
- Saturday, December 9th: Jungle Book performance, 2pm
- Saturday, December 9th: Hazel Wolf Kraken Game, 7pm
- Sunday December 10th: Jungle Book performance, 2pm
- Friday December 15th: 1 hour early dismissal prior to Winter Break
- Monday December 25th through Monday January 1st: Winter Break (no school)
All School Announcements
Message from Dr. Breuder:
November is National Adoption Month. As a proud adoptee, I highlight this month as a way to bring about awareness of how our families come together from many different pathways. I was adopted as an infant from the Philippines into a family in Seattle, which is where I was raised and have lived most of my life. Being an adoptee is an important part of my identity, as is being a Filipina American woman. These intersections of my identity impact how I interact with others, as well as how others interact with me. I have experienced many micro (and macro) aggressions as a woman of color in leadership. I have also had wonderful interactions with people who connect with my story and my experiences. I try to be transparent in who I am and how my lived experiences impact my core values and foundational beliefs, as those values and beliefs impact everything I do, both professionally and personally. I was one of those students who was very quiet in school (my teachers always told me to “speak up” and to participate more in class). I spent many years not feeling comfortable in my classes for so many reasons, and I take those experiences in how I look at our students sitting in our own classrooms. I want ALL of our students to feel safe and welcomed into our school and into our classrooms, and I want every child to have opportunities to have their voices heard. As I continue to get to know the Hazel Wolf community, I look forward to connecting and building relationships with students, staff, and families.
Conferences: We are looking forward to upcoming conferences. This is an important time for our staff to communicate with families about student goals and progress thus far into the school year. Your child’s teacher has sent out a link to the conference schedule, so please make sure to sign up for a time.
Volunteer Orientations: Please remember that all volunteers need to go through the entire volunteer clearance process before volunteering at Hazel Wolf. There are still several Volunteer Orientations throughout the school year that parents and caregivers can attend if they want to volunteer at school. Find the complete list here: https://hazelwolfk8.org/2023/10/24/volunteer-orientation-dates-and-times/
“The Musical Note” – from Ms. Allenton
- Sunday, December 3rd: Barnes and Noble Fundraiser. Show Choir sings at 3:30 and 4:30. More details to come including our fundraising voucher code. Proceeds support building our general music library and the drama department.
- Thursday, December 7: Jungle Book performance @ 5:30.
- Friday, December 8: Jungle Book performance @ 5:30.
- Saturday, December 9: Jungle Book performance @ 2:00.
- Sunday, December 10: Jungle Book performance @ 2:00.
Middle School Announcements
- Middle School Dance! The ASB Council is planning the Autumn Masquerade middle school dance. All Hazel Wolf Middle Schoolers are welcome.
- Thursday, November 9th from 6-8PM in the cafeteria/gym
- Tickets will go on sale Wednesday, November 1st in the cafeteria during lunch
- Tickets are $3 in advance and $5 at the door
- Costumes are optional
PTSA Announcements and Events
- Thank you to our community! A number of PTSA sponsored events happened this last week! Thank you to everyone who helped us provide coats to Hazel Wolf students through the Coat Drive. We were thrilled that 20+ families registered their homes for our first ever Trick or Treat Adventure – hopefully this can become an annual tradition! We hope all the families who came to Movie Night and watched The Super Mario Bros. Movie! in the Cafetorium had a wonderful time. And finally, last but not least, we hope everyone got all the winter gear they need from the Winter Clothing & Ski Swap. Thank you to all the volunteers who were involved in planning and execution and thank you for everyone who participated in building community by attending these events!
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- Staff Appreciation Lead: The PTSA loves to support and thank staff. We can’t do this without parent help. Would you like to organize staff appreciation events? Please contact Christa Kleiner if you’re interested. 206-335-2497 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Band/Orchestra/Instrumental Music support – Mr. Stevens would love 1-2 parent volunteers to help make his programming a success. Please contact Christa Kleiner if you’re interested. 206-335-2497 email@example.com
- Executive board and Lead positions:
-PTSA Vice President – Do you have a desire to understand how our PTSA non-profit supports our school? The VP position is a wonderful way to advocate for our school and get involved. Please reach out to Christa by text 206-335-2497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
-Spelling Bee Lead – Did you love the spelling bee as a kid? Perfect, we would love for you to help us plan the spelling bee. For more information contact Sara Kent at email@example.com
-Party Planner/Social Event Coordinator – we’re bringing back an in-person fundraising social event. Help us plan a party to celebrate our school, build community and raise critical funds for our e-stem programming! If you haven’t done this before, no worries – we’ll make it fun and teach you what to do. Please reach out to Christa by text/call 206-335-2497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch volunteers: Thank you to all the parents who are helping serve lunches! You can continue to sign up here:: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0E49ACAA22AAFF2-44373930-lunch
- SPS Covid and Flu Shot Clinics: Information and how to register for these clinics here: https://www.seattleschools.org/news/vaccine-clinic/