Oct 1, 2023 Weekly Bulletin
October 1, 2023
• Curriculum Night
o October 4th, Middle School Curriculum Night (in-person), 5:40-7:40pm
o October 5th, Elementary School Curriculum Night (online on Teams), 5:40-7:05pm
• 10/9-10/12 6th-graders to Mt. Rainier Institute (MRI)
• Picture Day
o Tuesday, October 10, Elementary School
o Wednesday, October 11, Middle School
• October 18th 6pm Zoom – Ski bus(Wed & Fri) info night – Click here to join the meeting
• Friday, 10/27 Hazel Wolf K-8 Skate Party, 5pm
• Nov 4th Winter Clothing and Ski Swap – Hosted at School (more details to come)
• Nov 15th Picture Retake Day and 6th Graders will take their pictures.
• Nov 29th MOD Pizza Dine-Out Fundraiser
• Dec 9th Hazel Wolf Kraken Game, 7pm
All School Announcements
Message from Dr. Breuder:
It is hard to believe that it is already October! This first month of school has gone by in a whirlwind of activity! Seeing the learning that is happening across the school is joyful and inspiring.
• Racial Equity Team and Affinity groups: I believe very strongly in actively working to be an anti-racist organization. We know there are deep-rooted, systemic inequities that impact us in so many ways. As an educational organization, we have to be very intentional about how we are countering those inequities in our actions and our words. The Hazel Wolf Racial Equity Team (staff members) met this week, and we will meet next week with members of the Racial Equity Committee (family members). I am looking forward to learning more about the racial equity work at Hazel Wolf and continuing that work as we partner with our families and community members.
Additionally, we are so excited for our student affinity groups to start this week. Mr. J and Ms. Miranda (social worker) are leading these student affinity groups. These affinity groups are designed for students to connect with other students of similar background at Hazel Wolf. (As someone who leads an affinity group of Seattle Public Schools leaders—Asian American Pacific Islanders, AAPI—I believe affinity groups are important spaces that provide opportunities for shared experiences and connections.) Thank you to Mr. J and Ms. Miranda for leading these affinity groups.
• October is Filipino Heritage Month: I am a proud Filipina American woman, who also has two multiracial children that are learning about their history and heritage as they continue to develop their racial identities. I am also an adoptee, so I have been on my own journey in learning about my Filipino culture and roots. What is the background of your family and is there something you’d like to share with our Hazel Wolf community? Please contact me with any information you’d like to share! We always love the opportunity to learn more about our Hazel Wolf Family!
• ASB (Middle School): We are getting the ASB (Associated Student Body) Council up and going in the middle school. This group of student leaders is so important in the leadership of our school community. Students are going through the application process this week, then the students who are running for ASB officers and ambassadors will give speeches next week. Voting for our ASB council will take place this next week. These leadership opportunities are a great way for students to get involved and to be role models for our Hazel Wolf community!
• Thank you to Mr. John! Our crossing guard, Mr. John, has stepped away from his role this year to take care of his health. We would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Mr. John for helping keep our community safe!
• Lunchtime volunteers: Thank you so much to the volunteers who have been helping in the kitchen during lunch. We are still trying to fill the kitchen assistant position, so it has been extremely helpful to have volunteers during this time!
Message from the Office:
• As the weather changes, we are noticing that more students are getting wet at recess, which means we are seeing more students come into the office to get dry clothes. If you have any extra clothes that you would like to donate to the office for these instances, especially bigger clothes for older students, please send them in!
• Are your students interested in skiing or snowboarding this winter? If so, please join us for our online information session on Wednesday, October 18th at 6:00pm (Click here to join the meeting). We’ll be going over both programs and answering questions via Teams. The programs we offer are for the following groups:
• Wednesday evenings (K-8th grades)
• Friday nights (5th-8th grades)
“The Musical Note” – from Ms. Allenton
Hello families! I wanted to share an opportunity for kids in 1st grade-4th grade who love to sing and dance. This year, our school spring musical will be Honk! Jr., which is the story of the Ugly Duckling. In order to most effectively tell our story and to invite more members of our learning community, we will host auditions for the duckling siblings beginning this fall.
• Email a 1 minute video of your child singing to a karaoke/instrumental track to me at email@example.com
• Deadline for initial video is October 15th
• Must be 4’5″ or under in height.
• Be available for a callback dance and song follow up audition in November.
• Be available for rehearsals after school from April to June. 1x week or less at first. Nearly every day just before performances. Weekend for shows.
• Understand that we can cast only 4 ducklings. Not everyone who auditions will be cast in the show. Auditioning can be a great learning experience for kids and families that helps develop resilience and empathy.
Email Ms. Allenton if you have questions or need clarification. firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Musical Event at Hazel Wolf
Mads Hansen Kapel scheduled for Tuesday, October 17th.
Organized by: Mrs. Levenson, Ms. Allenton, Mr. Stevens
Sponsored/Funded by: PTSA.
PTSA Announcements and Events
• 2nd annual Winter clothing and ski swap – Start gathering winter/rain/ski gear you and or your kids no longer need. Details to come on the consignment process. Mark your calendars to shop new and used gear Nov 4th at Hazel Wolf. A portion of all proceeds will go to the PTSA. Thanks for your support and we can’t wait to gather during this fun Reduce/Reuse event mixed with a dash of new product.
• Join the Racial Equity Committee (REC) —Our goals focus on helping students and families of color and those who are furthest from educational justice (intersectionality with race, ability, language, gender, socio-economic status, etc.). We encourage and prioritize Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) families joining the committee and we welcome all families willing to DO racial equity work. We build community, support Student Affinity Groups, host listening sessions for BIPOC, work with PTSA and school staff to advocate for racial equity practices in our school, and more! We are looking for families to join a 1x a month meeting and to help with other special events like multicultural potluck and some other exciting events that we can’t wait to discuss. To learn more or join the REC, email Gloria Okada at email@example.com.
• Coat Drive: Help keep all Hazel Wolf students warm this winter! Sponsor a student by providing them with funds for a new coat. The school is accepting Target gift cards in denominations of $25 or $50 (please write the amount on the back of the card). Please drop them off in the main office. If you have questions or would like to purchase gift card(s) online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. Each student will be given $50 in gift cards to purchase a new coat. Donations and requests will be accepted through October 30th. Questions about requesting a coat? Please email Miranda Sullivan at email@example.com or Kristin Marcu firstname.lastname@example.org
• PTSA General session: Thursday October 19th, 6:30-8:00pm
Please join us for the first PTSA General Session!
• Principal report from Dr. Breuder
• Budget update: We will be voting on the PTSA budget during this meeting. While anyone can attend, only members can participate in the voting. Come Join the Hazel Wolf K-8 PTSA now and have a say on which programs get funding from the PTSA!
• Hazel Wolf K-8 Skate Party October 27: Join your classmates & friends for our annual Winter School Skate Party at Lynnwood Bowl & Skate. We have the roller skating rink reserved from 5pm-7pm. Tickets are available at the door exclusively for Hazel Wolf Students, Staff & friends. Prices will be $8 for roller skates & an additional $4 for in-lines. Please contact Sabra Warren with questions@ email@example.com or 206-931-3613
• MOD Pizza Dine Out Fundraiser November 29th: More details to come about this great fundraiser! The restaurant is located at 17171 Bothell Way NE, Suite A004 Lake Forest Park, WA 98155
• Hazel Wolf Kraken game at Climate Pledge Arena December 9: Updated kraken ticket link below! The $50 tickets are sold out but there are still some left at the $60 & $80 price point. Get your Tickets HERE:
https://offer.fevo.com/seattle-kraken-vs-tampa-bay-lightning-bbf8hdx-63dae38?fevoUri=seattle-kraken-vs-tampa-bay-lightning-bbf8hdx-63dae38%2F Please contact Sabra Warren with questions@ firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-931-3613
• PTSA Executive board and Lead positions:
-PTSA Vice President – Do you have a desire to understand how our PTSA non-profit supports our school? The VP position is a wonderful way to advocate for our school and get involved. Please reach out to Christa by text 206-335-2497 or email email@example.com
-Spelling Bee Lead – Did you love the spelling bee as a kid? Perfect, we would love for you to help us plan the spelling bee. For more information contact Sara Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Party Planner/Social Event Coordinator – we’re bringing back an in-person fundraising social event. Help us plan a party to celebrate our school, build community and raise critical funds for our e-stem programming! If you haven’t done this before, no worries – we’ll make it fun and teach you what to do. Please reach out to Christa by text/call 206-335-2497 or email email@example.com
• Lunch volunteers: Thank you to all the parents who are helping serve lunches! You can continue to sign up here:: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0E49ACAA22AAFF2-44373930-lunch
• Enjoy free concerts: The Bellevue Jazz & Blues Music Series is celebrating our 16th year of celebrating community and the creative power of music. Live performance is a hallmark of a great urban center, and we believe a city should take every chance it can to present it. We are thrilled to offer our local area students and their families complimentary tickets to either one of our headliner shows at Meydenbauer Center Theatre:
Friday, October 6, 7:30pm – Stacy Jones Band Saturday, October 7, 7:30pm – Pearl Django with Gail Pettis
Click on the link(s) above and it will prompt you to advance with ticket reservations via Eventbrite. If needed, comp code for the Fri, 10/6 performance is Bellevue1, for Sat, 10/7 it is Bellevue2. Thank you!
• Rain City Showcase: This is a preseason NBA game happening on October 10th. There is currently an offer for a Family Bundle deal for this upcoming game, featuring the LA Clippers and Western Conference Rivals Utah Jazz! You don’t want to miss the opportunity to see NBA basketball back underneath our roof with your family and friends! The Family Bundles include 4 Hempler’s all-beef hot dogs, and 1 box of popcorn. You can buy the bundles here: https://offer.fevo.com/2nd-annual-rain-city-showcase-2e2u1qa-d6b3f96?fevoUri=2nd-annual-rain-city-showcase-2e2u1qa-d6b3f96%2F
• Squirrelly Workshop: After-School and evening art classes available. Visit Squirrellyworkshop.com | Seattle Art Studio for Kids for details and to register! Questions? Call 206-491-9965.We look forward to hearing from you!